Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re: [android-developers] Re: About to release first app to market.

I am actually really surprised as to how the Android Market is setup
considering how long it's been out. There are a lot of people
complaining about BlackBerry App World but to be honest Android Market
feels likes amateur hour in comparison. Considering Google is a 200
billion market cap and RIM is < 40 it shocking.

Leigh

On 5/18/2010 11:31 AM, String wrote:
> On May 18, 3:36 pm, TreKing<treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Leigh McRae<leigh.mc...@lonedwarfgames.com
>>
>>> wrote:
>>> I was wondering what people do to limit the phones that can purchase my app
>>> on Android Market.
>>>
>> Why would you want to limit the number of devices that your apps runs on?
>> OK, you can't test every single device, but that's not a good reason, IMO.
>>
> I think Leigh explained this, actually. If you have good reason to
> expect that your app may not work on unseen hardware, it would be
> REALLY handy to be able to restrict it from those handsets until such
> time as you're able to test on them.
>
> Sure, MOST apps work OK on MOST handsets. But it's definitely not
> 100%.
>
> I have one app which I know fails on the Nexus One. I had a user
> report it to me - in a 1* comment, naturally - and the only way I
> could deal with it was to put maxSdkVersion="6" in my manifest. If it
> hadn't been for the device seeding program, I would have had to leave
> it at that until I could find a beta-tester with a N1. And in the
> intervening 2 months, this app was blocked from the Market for all 2.1
> devices - but the alternative would have been a torrent of bad
> comments.
>
> And I'm now getting e-mails from users that a different app fails on
> the Sony Xperia X10. I'm not sure what I can do about that one yet;
> I'm trying to get one of the users to cooperate in testing it, but
> without luck so far. Wouldn't it be nice if I could block installs to
> X10s until I can get this fixed?
>
> In response to the OP's question, there isn't a way to do this,
> unfortunately. Maybe someday, when the Market grows up. :^(
>
> String
>
>

--
Leigh McRae
www.lonedwarfgames.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment