Wednesday, September 22, 2010

[android-developers] Re: New to Developing, Need Insight

Hmm .. likewise I have 3 plus Murphy's 4 books.

While Pro Android 2 contains large chunks of info, I find that it
poorly organized.
I often find myself checking multiple Contents entries before I hit on
what I'm after.
But its the best book I have in non-digital form.

I find Mark Murphy's books to be very good. Well worth the money (and
$40 for 4 books that are regularly upddated seems good value IMHO).
The downside is that I only have digital copies and no portable
eReader (yet) so I can't readily leaf through them away from my desk.
When there's an affordable tablet that makes this convenient, I'll be
very happy.

I thik there's enough info around, but as base (as this was said by
previous authors) you need to be well conversant in Java / XML and
understand standard design patterns/principles (and yes this matters).

On Sep 23, 8:53 am, DanH <danhi...@ieee.org> wrote:
> I've got three Android books on my desk, plus 4 of Murphy's that I've
> downloaded.  None of them do I consider to be even "adequate".  "Pro
> Android 2" is maybe the best, but, eg, it contains major errors, and
> (bigger failure) fails (like the others) to give any sort of coherent
> description of the Android environment.
>
> They're all mainly random collections of tutorials, "organized" by
> topic.
>
> On Sep 22, 4:22 pm, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM, DanH <danhi...@ieee.org> wrote:
> > > And, as I've said several times here, unfortunately there are no good books
> > > on Android.
>
> > Well, that's a matter of opinion, now ain't it? Like many others I got
> > started with Mark Murphy's book and thought it was quite solid. The current,
> > limited set of books on Android may not suit your personal learning style,
> > but that's no basis for saying that not a single one is any good.
>
> > I would recommend anyone to go to a Barne's & Noble (or what have you) and
> > browse through the selection to see if what's available fits you personally
> > before dismissing all books on the subject as not being any good.
>
> > 2010/9/22 Miguel Morales <therevolti...@gmail.com>
>
> > > At least each response is tailored to the OP, not technically spam.
>
> > Really? Granted, I don't read his massive ad posts, but every one of Tim's
> > posts seems like a copy-paste job.
>
> > > It can be off-putting though, but you gotta make those sells.
>
> > Presenting yourself as a spammer is probably not a good way to promote and
> > sell your product.
>
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > TreKing <http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking> - Chicago
> > transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment