Tuesday, September 14, 2010

[android-developers] Re: OpenGL lockups in 2.2

This appears to be an HTC specific bug. My app never freezes on the
Motorla Droid. EVER. It is very stable on the Droid and I have tested
it for about 4months without a single freeze. Interestingly though it
never froze on my G1 either. The G1 I have is the ADP1 phone I bought
directly from Google.

All other HTC phones that I have exhibit the freezing - Evo, Desire
and Nexus One (which is also from HTC I believe).

Apart from that I tested it for a month on Samsung Moment. There was
NO freezing there either.
I have been in touch with a Google developer advocate and I have
submitted the bug report to his team. They are looking into this as
well.

On Sep 14, 8:23 pm, Jeremy Statz <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's my experience as well.  All my log results say that there's no
> loading or anything necessary -- the frame it dies on is bog standard,
> with drawFrame going from beginning to end.  Any loading is long since
> done.
>
> I'm currently wondering if this is an HTC driver bug.  I'm going to
> let this run on a Motorola Droid all night and see if it crashes.  Not
> sure I'm expecting it to, as my fiance has been using my wallpapers on
> her Droid since forever and says she's never seen it lock and reboot
> like we're describing.  Is there anyone at HTC to take something like
> that to, if I gather some evidence?
>
> On Sep 14, 3:32 pm, timedilation <udayan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > That's interesting..
> > Although I know for sure that all my gl* calls are happening only in
> > the GL thread. And this freezing happens even when I simply leave the
> > device (HTC Desire) running my app with zero user interaction
> > whatsoever. All the app renders is a scenery with a single animation.
> > No texture changes or geometry changes are taking place in this
> > scenario. But because of the animation, I have to render continuously
> > and this is why I have not used the Render_when_dirty approach.
>
> > I did notice that when the app freezes, my main UI thread as well as a
> > secondary thread (that talks to a game server) are still running and
> > alive. The main UI thread does register touches until a point and then
> > hangs while the secondary thread stays alive. I tried to send an
> > interrupt() to the GLThread from this secondary thread but that did
> > not help. The GLThread remained stuck in eglSwapBuffer();
>
> > On Sep 14, 3:42 pm, String <sterling.ud...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Sep 13, 11:24 pm, Jeremy Statz <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > The big problem here, in my eyes, is that this appears to
> > > > affect any OpenGL using application, and is tremendously discouraging,
> > > > to the point that people pull things off the market and avoid using
> > > > OpenGL.
>
> > > I've been chasing this in a couple of my own OpenGL apps for a couple
> > > of months as well. It's summed up well in this thread - extremely
> > > intermittent, but extremely serious when it does happen. And I'm one
> > > of the devs who has pulled an app from the Market as a result.
>
> > > At the moment, I'm provisionally optimistic that I've worked around
> > > the issue in my case. Given it's a race condition, I took the approach
> > > of maximum thread-safety: I put a whole load of semaphores into my
> > > code, added "synchronized" and "volatile" modifiers all over the
> > > place, that sort of thing. And it seems to have been successful... I
> > > can't be sure (because of the intermittency), but I haven't seen it
> > > happen for a couple of weeks now.
>
> > > If I had to speculate, I'd say that the problem finally went when I
> > > synchronized some code which re-generates geometry within my OpenGL
> > > model. I added semaphores to ensure that textures, geometry, and
> > > rendering never happened concurrently. There's no way to know that was
> > > the end problem, but that SEEMED to be it. If that helps anyone.
>
> > > Just to reiterate, I agree that this is a serious platform-level bug
> > > that needs to be fixed by Google. And it has gotten worse since 2.2,
> > > although I have (rarely) seen it happen on my G1 running 1.6.
>
> > > String

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment