Saturday, March 26, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Bluetooth

So basically I will have a background thread that periodically tried
to connec and immediate disconnect?

On Mar 25, 4:35 pm, Kristopher Micinski <krismicin...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM, ehpaul <hansp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I am writing an android program that I need to know when a
> > bluetooth device (I know the Mac) is in range. The program also needs
> > to be aware when the device is not in range. Is there any way to do
> > this without establishing a connection?
>
> Not that I've seen from the Bluetooth API exposed to the user. I don't
> understand the underlying protocol horribly well, but you need to actually
> scan for the uuid using SDP, which requires a call to the API.
>
> > When the device is in range, I am able to call
> > BluetoothAdapter.getRemoteDevice and retrieve the friendly name. But
> > when I am not in range, it seems this information is cached. I was
> > thinking if I can use the friendly name as an indicator whether the
> > device is within range (i.e If friendly name is not null, then it's in
> > range). I am certain there is better way to do this. But it seems the
> > only way is to establishing a connection.
>
> I don't think there is a better way, at least with the current API. Unless
> by better way you mean a more elaborate synchronization mechanism or
> something like that. But yes, I think at least from the API exposed by the
> android system, you have to do polling.
>
> (I wanted to do what you described too, I think it's a common thing, but
> perhaps not the anticipated use of BT and / or the android API.)
>
> Kris

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment