Thursday, August 4, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Uploading same .apk to Market as two different apps

I want them to be the SAME app if possible, as this eliminates the
need to worry about Preferences or anything else. (Only the paid
version uses Preferences, so I don't have to worry about keeping the
Preference selections made in the current free version).

I can't simply make them absolutely identical, as the two versions
currently are signed with different keys, and if I change one of the
signing keys I won't be able to upload.

Hence my idea to use the same source code for both, just signed with
their existing (different) keys.

I have no way of testing this stuff without trying it on the Market,
with potentially catastrophic effect if I muck it up (having a 100,000
people getting an error message when they try to upgrade is not a good
look).

It seems a pretty simple thing that I want to do, convert my free
version so it is the same as my paid version and hence only appears
once on the user's phone and uses only one set of Preferences.

There must be an easy way which is guaranteed to work with the
Market ... any ideas?

On Aug 4, 7:24 pm, Nikolay Elenkov <nikolay.elen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Peter Webb <r.peter.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If I just upload the same .apk file for both (excepting they were
> > signed with different keys) will they be the same application on the
> > phone, and specifically will they use the same preference file? This
> > means I can use the current paid version for both, just using
> > different keystores.
>
> You need to use different packages to have two separate apps.
> They can be signed with the same key, or separate ones,
> it doesn't matter. If you have two separate apps, they will have
> separate preferences.
>
> Use a library project based on the 'pro' version, create two
> different app projects with different manifests. You can then
> generate two apk's from the app projects.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment