Tuesday, August 23, 2011

[android-developers] Working with VideoView without calling MediaPlayer.release()

Hi !

Today, this issue http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=959 has become really problematic for me.

MediaPlayer.release() makes my applications hang for a few seconds very often. As it makes the user experience really unacceptable I have copied the source code from VideoView and removed calls to MediaPlayer.release(), nevermind the lost resources. My application is now mush smoother. My application adds and removes the videoview when needed. But sometimes, after readding the custom VideoView, it will be black or green, complaining about Surface Overlay being busy. Messages differs for every hardware.

So here is my question : Is it possible to live without calling MediaPlayer.release() ? (this method can block my UI so I can't use it)
If not, which workarounds are available ? I have tried to call this method in a different thread but it will release the resources to late for the next SurfaceView;

Any ideas ?

Thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment