Sunday, December 25, 2011

[android-developers] how to select listview from multiple listviews in main.xml (on Android 2.3.3)

hi all,
I'm using FrameLayout and have defined two LinearLayouts embedded inside the FrameLayout. Now for each LinearLayout I've a listview . The problem I'm facing is picking the two listviews separately from my Java side code. The default listivew in XML uses the standard defined ID as android:id="@id/android:list" and I'm not able to pick the right one. So I decided to give custom ids to each of the list view like this in Layout1:
          <ListView
            android:id="@+id/list1"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="fill_parent" />

and the following in Layout2

          <ListView
            android:id="@+id/list2"
            android:layout_width="fill_parent"
            android:layout_height="fill_parent" />

and this is what I'm trying to use to pick the listviews separately, 

      ListView listView1 = (ListView) findViewById(R.id.list1);
      ListView listView2 = (ListView) findViewById(R.id.list2);

With the above code in pace, I'm not getting any compilation errors. But during run time I'm getting errors with this message:
      java.lang.RuntimeException: Your content must have a ListView whose id attribute is 'android.R.id.list'

Are we not allowed to use custom IDs for listviews? If custom IDs are not allowed, then what is the best way to handle the above problem? Would appreciate if someone could point me to the right direction.

BTW, I'm actually trying to define two layouts each with its own listview and then I'm trying to animate between two UI screens each using one layout and the default behavior gives only one of the listivew as picked by "getListView()" which happens to be the 1st one, so my 2nd UI page is not showing any listview. 


Thanks, 
KK

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment