Tuesday, January 15, 2013

[android-developers] Re: Any USB-Serial Adapter on Android Phones?

Serial is indeed old. But not obsolete in that there are MANY devices still out there that have only an RS-232 interface. If we want to connect to and use them, serial is the only choice we have.

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:10:29 AM UTC-8, bob wrote:

Why would you be using that?


Isn't serial pretty much obsolete?


I would be surprised if there isn't a more modern way to do what you're trying to do.




On Monday, January 14, 2013 5:35:09 PM UTC-6, David White wrote:
Specifically, for my Note N7000 but interested in more general application as well for a new app. I own a Keyspan USB->Serial adapter. When I plug it in via an OTG cable, I can see (via terminal window and lsusb command) that the new device is recognized to some extent). But I also expect to see a device file (/dev/ttyUSB0 or something like that) get created so that communication can occur. I do not see this happening. I have looked in the source code for the ICS 4.0.4 kernel and I do see some code specifically for Keyspan USB->Serial devices. So I would think this might work. However, I am finding no success.

So:

(a) Is there built in support for the Keyspan device? If so, what else do I need to do to get things going?

(b) If not, is there built-in support for any other USB->serial devices. If so, which ones are best to use?

Thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment