Saturday, May 18, 2013

Re: [android-developers] Re: Error installing Android Studio Preview version

I'm not sure you saw my reply to myself.. but I did get it working on Ubuntu 12.10. I didn't realize that I didn't have OpenJDK installed. I had thought I did because the JRE package name had the letters "JDK" (OpenJDK). Once I installed the actual OpenJDK from the repos, Android Studio installed and worked, despite the warning message about using the OpenJDK in place of Oracle's.

As a side note, I am 12.10 Ubuntu Studio (which uses XFCE instead of Unity). I highly recommend it if you don't like the direction that they're going with Unity.

On Friday, May 17, 2013 3:31:23 PM UTC-4, jtoolsdev wrote:
On Ubuntu it's the .sh but I hadn't tried any troubleshooting.  Just wanted to see if it worked out of the box.  The .sh file warns about using OpenJDK.  I have Oracle installed but probably not the version it is looking for (upgrading Java 64-bit can be a pain).    I'm still using 10.04 Ubuntu since Unity is not a developer's GUI.  Looks like the .sh file needs some mods to give the correct error message.  More on this over on the Google+ comments to the blog article.


On Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:05:22 PM UTC-7, Paul-Peter Tournaris wrote:
Basically it's the bat configuration that they use on Android Studio. If you check it (inside the bin folder of Android Studio) you will see where it checks for JDKs and you will be able to solve the problem!


On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM, jtoolsdev <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:
So what might break if the Java configuration is changed?  Changing Java configurations is not something that developers do everyday.  There probably needs to be more complete instructions.  Eclipse works fine with my current configuration.  I may wait on Studio until I see what problems and solutions others have.


On Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:50:29 PM UTC-7, Matt Kevins wrote:
I am following the instructions for installing Android Studio Preview on Linux. I am running Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. This is the specific message I got:

'tools.jar' is not in the Android Studio classpath.
Please ensure JAVA_HOME points to JDK rather than JRE.

I then tried:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java

based on advice on askubuntu.com, to no avail. Does anyone know what the issue might be, or how I can go resolving this? I would really like to try out Android Studio, since it looks really cool based on the presentation during the IO keynote.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-d...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
Παύλος-Πέτρος Τουρνάρης
Android  & Software Developer

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment