Tuesday, May 18, 2010

[android-developers] Re: About to release first app to market.

On May 18, 3:36 pm, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Leigh McRae <leigh.mc...@lonedwarfgames.com
> > wrote:
> > I was wondering what people do to limit the phones that can purchase my app
> > on Android Market.
>
> Why would you want to limit the number of devices that your apps runs on?
> OK, you can't test every single device, but that's not a good reason, IMO.

I think Leigh explained this, actually. If you have good reason to
expect that your app may not work on unseen hardware, it would be
REALLY handy to be able to restrict it from those handsets until such
time as you're able to test on them.

Sure, MOST apps work OK on MOST handsets. But it's definitely not
100%.

I have one app which I know fails on the Nexus One. I had a user
report it to me - in a 1* comment, naturally - and the only way I
could deal with it was to put maxSdkVersion="6" in my manifest. If it
hadn't been for the device seeding program, I would have had to leave
it at that until I could find a beta-tester with a N1. And in the
intervening 2 months, this app was blocked from the Market for all 2.1
devices - but the alternative would have been a torrent of bad
comments.

And I'm now getting e-mails from users that a different app fails on
the Sony Xperia X10. I'm not sure what I can do about that one yet;
I'm trying to get one of the users to cooperate in testing it, but
without luck so far. Wouldn't it be nice if I could block installs to
X10s until I can get this fixed?

In response to the OP's question, there isn't a way to do this,
unfortunately. Maybe someday, when the Market grows up. :^(

String

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment