Wednesday, May 19, 2010

[android-developers] Turning off the screen

I'm writing a program that processes SensorEvents. It needs to keep
running and keep processing events even when the user isn't directly
working with their phone (i.e. when it's just sitting in their
pocket). To make that work, I need to prevent the phone from turning
off. On the other hand, I don't want to waste power unnecessarily, so
I don't want to prevent the screen from turning off.

Looking at the documentation, it seems that a WakeLock of type
PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK should do exactly what I want. But it doesn't work:
as soon as the screen turns off, my program stops running (or at least
onSensorChanged() stops getting called). If I instead use a lock of
type SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK, everything works as expected and my program
keeps running. But then the screen stays on (although dimmed), which
is far from ideal.

I then thought maybe I could just turn off the screen myself by
setting WindowManager.LayoutParams.screenBrightness to 0. But no...
as soon as I do that, my program stops running. It appears that "set
the screen brightness to 0" is actually interpreted as "turn off the
phone!"

Is there any way I can make the display turn off while still allowing
my program to keep running?

Peter

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment