Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re: [android-developers] Re: About to release first app to market.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM, String <sterling.udell@googlemail.com> wrote:
I think Leigh explained this, actually.

Indeed, which is why I said:
OK, you can't test every single device, but that's not a good reason, IMO.
Key word (acronym?) being IMO. 
 
If you have good reason to expect that your app may not work on unseen hardware, it would be REALLY handy to be able to restrict it from those handsets until such time as you're able to test on them.

Yes, this would definitely be useful. But it's currently not possible (which was the context for my response) - so if the choice is to either limit how many people you can distribute your app to for some indeterminate amount of time or release it to all with some analytics tools that will let your address the problems as they're encountered (risking the 1 star comments) I would go with the latter. Again, that's just me though.
 
Sure, MOST apps work OK on MOST handsets. But it's definitely not 100%.

Definitely not, which is why I said:
Granted, there will ALWAYS be issues once it's out in the wild, especially the way Android phone manufacturers have gotten carried away with custom builds, but those are the exceptions.
 

I have one app which I know fails on the Nexus One. I had a user report it to me - in a 1* comment, naturally - and the only way I could deal with it was to put maxSdkVersion="6" in my manifest.

Did you know of the problem before or after the user comment? If before, than that would be your fault for putting that out there with a known issue. If after, then the 1 star sucks, but on the bright side you were made aware of a major issue.
 
Wouldn't it be nice if I could block installs to X10s until I can get this fixed?

It would - but you can't - so do the best with the system we have to work with. Throw in some analytic and debugging code and try to get as many reports that way as possible to help you nab down the issue.

Or put a post on here and see if a fellow dev can test it for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices
http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment