Friday, September 3, 2010

[android-developers] Re: Getting Owner and Contact Data

For contact information I have used this:
http://www.higherpass.com/Android/Tutorials/Working-With-Android-Contacts/

It works well for me and seems to be fairly complete and detailed.

Good luck.

On Sep 1, 2:11 pm, Dritan <djdea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing an app on to make use of the owner's data (first, last,
> email(s), phone(s)) and one or more contacts the owner can choose. The
> application will find common patterns and whatnot.
>
> I have given my app READ_CONTACTS, WRITE_CONTACTS, READ_OWNER_DATA,
> WRITE_OWNER_DATA permissions in my AndroidManifest.xml
>
> Initially I used the People class which was deprecated, then I
> switched to ContactsContract.Contacts...
> to try pull explicitly the first (given), middle, and last (family)
> names, then phone numbers, emails, etc... but I cannot seem to be able
> to fetch these columns via:
>
> Cursor c1 =
> getContentResolver().query(ContactsContract.Data.CONTENT_URI, null,
> ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.StructuredName.CONTACT_ID +" = ?",
> new String[]{id}, null);
>
> Or even this
>
> Cursor cc =
> getContentResolver().query(ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_URI,
> null, null,null, null);
> if (cc.moveToFirst()){
>                         String [] names = cc.getColumnNames();
>                         for (int j=0; j<names.length; j++){
>                                 Log.d("Contacts", "COL NAME:
> "+names[j]);
>                                 Log.d("Contacts", "========>COL VALUE:
> " +cc.getString(cc.getColumnIndexOrThrow(names[j]))+"\n\n");
>                         }
>
>                 }
>
> to show all column names but I'm not getting any relevant information.
> I can get the phone number (data 0 or data 1), but not first, middle,
> and last. I need to access as much of the user's data for the
> algorithm to work as it compares it with other people to find trends
> and patterns. The more complete the data the better.
>
> Here's another alternative way I tried with the first cursor c1:
>
> String lookup =
> c1.getString(c.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.Contacts.LOOKUP_KEY));
> Cursor cc =
> getContentResolver().query( Uri.withAppendedPath(ContactsContract.Contacts.CONTENT_LOOKUP_URI,
> lookup), null, null, null, null);
>
> and still I cannot get the owner's or a contact's data that I want.
>
> Does anyone have any clue as to why I can't get the contact fields I
> need... or how I can get them?
>
> I really appreciate any insights.
> Thanks!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment