Wednesday, September 1, 2010

[android-developers] Re: Licensing Verification Library & Apps Solely for "Unlocking"/Removing Ads

Perhaps you're right.

I added the LVL library to my free app's build path, and exported that
APK. The Developer Console lets me upload the new APK, at least. I
assume that clicking "Publish" won't introduce some other check.

Note that all I have done is add the library, and the appropriate
permission:
<uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE" />

I haven't implemented any of the server checks, but if the Dev Console
lets me get this far with my app, that's a positive sign.

On Sep 1, 3:14 pm, Chris Stratton <cs07...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt they can readily detect the licensing bytecode in all its
> possible variations.  Rather they probably won't let you make
> licensing records for a formerly free app.
>
> On Sep 1, 3:38 pm,GJTorikian<gjtorik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Before I continue the experiment, I took one more look through the
> > docs and found this gem:
>
> > "If your application is already published as free, you won't be able
> > to upload a new version that uses licensing."
>
> > I am guessing that if I try to include the LVL Library project into my
> > free app, I won't be able to upload a new APK to the Developer
> > Console. I'm not at my workspace now but when I get a chance to
> > verify, I will.
>
> > On Aug 31, 11:43 pm, String <sterling.ud...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM,GJTorikian<gjtorik...@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
>
> > > > > Launch Free App->Launch Unlocker App->Run LVL->Return Result->Parse Result
> > > > > in Free App
>
> > > > That was the gist of it, yes.
>
> > > I agree, having done an "unlocker" app in the past (and, separately,
> > > using LVL now) that's the approach that makes most sense to me.
> > > Especially if you already have an unlocker - convert it to LVL, and
> > > change the call in the free app as outlined above, but leave the rest
> > > of your architecture alone.
>
> > > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Chris Stratton <cs07...@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
>
> > > > > I'm not seeing any obvious reason why the free version can't just query the
> > > > > license server about the unlocker by itself, but maybe I'm overlooking
> > > > > something.
>
> > > I think that this is a real possibility, but I've not heard of anyone
> > > doing it. The key would be for the free app to query LVL about the
> > > unlocker's package name, NOT to try to use LVL for the free version's
> > > package. You'd also probably need to keep your version numbers aligned
> > > between the free & unlocker apps, because it has been established that
> > > this will cause an LVL failure.
>
> > > IF this works, it would be much cleaner; it would mean that your users
> > > would never have to actually have the unlocker installed, just
> > > purchased. I can't see that this sort of thing is mentioned anywhere
> > > in the LVL docs (though of course I could be missing it). It's
> > > possible that you can't do this, that LVL checks the calling package
> > > name or signature someplace. You'd just need to try it.
>
> > > Please keep us posted!
>
> > > String

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment