Saturday, April 30, 2011

[android-developers] Send an email in Android selecting only email apps AND specifying attachment mime type

In my Android App I send email messages with images attached.

Using the Intent system to send it, I can do one of the following two
things:

1) Specify type as "message/rfc822" so that ONLY email applications
are shown in the Chooser.

Inconvenience: I cannot specify the mime type of the image I attach
using EXTRA_STREAM and a Uri. Many receiving email apps (Gmail,
Android, etc) show this as an unknown binary "blob" attached to the
message, don't know how to preview it and don't know how to open it as
an attachment.

2) Specify the type as (say) "image/png". The image is attached and
email clients such as Gmail can preview it, and open the attachment in
the appropriate application.

Inconvenience: For the sending user, I cannot reduce the list of apps
the user has to select from in the Chooser to email apps, and MANY
apps are shown in my Android device, most of which are not email apps
and not what I want.

Is there anyway to specify its a "message/rfc822" email Intent AND to
specify the MIME type of the data attached via Uri in the
Intent.EXTRA_STREAM?

BTW: I am providing the file from my own ContentProvider and the
getType() method (used to determine file MIME type) is NOT being
called. The query() method is but doesn't request the file type, only
display name and file size.

thanks

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment