Monday, June 20, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Augmented reality: overlaying OpenGL on camera feed without GLSurfaceView

Hi Nick, I am in a similar situation, if you happen to get this
working please let me know if you don't mind. I've done an app which
uses the canvas API on top of the SurfaceView for this reason, but
that probably woudln't work or just take way too much time to
implement if you're dealing with opengl friendly data.

As far as the camera list, what I'm finding is, the amount of phones
running 2.1 is decreasing, less than 6.5% of my paid users are on 2.1,
and 15% of free app users are on 2.1, the only reason the app I'm
doing is 2.1 compatible is because I still haven't updated my Galaxy S
to 2.2. A lot of apps which do camera related things just support
2.2+, it may be something to consider if knowing FOV is super
important. I also looked for a list but didn't find anything. Right
now I'm considering letting people just zoom what I'm drawing.

On Jun 20, 7:43 am, Nickw <nickw1...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing an augmented-reality app in which I wish to overlay
> real-world data, specifically hiking trails from the OpenStreetMap
> project, on the phone's camera feed.
>
> I'm getting this kind-of working, using the camera's SurfaceView
> stacked on the GLSurfaceView (yes, that way round, as documented by
> several on the web). However you can't always see both layers and in
> any case I've seen posts on here suggesting you're not supposed to
> overlay two SurfaceViews on each other.
>
> However what I'm struggling to find is an alternative way of doing it.
> The method which springs to mind is to draw the OpenGL layer without
> using a GLSurfaceView (e.g. just a regular view) but can that be done?
> An alternative method is to send the feed to the GLSurfaceView as a
> texture but this seems a bit of a long winded way of doing it and if
> there are simpler alternatives, I'd prefer to go that route.
>
> On another issue related to the same app, on Android 2.1 (and below)
> there is no way to use the API to find any of the camera field of view
> parameters, focal length, and so on. The specification for the HTC
> Hero does not mention any of those parameters, though I've estimated
> in the field a horizontal field of view of just under 40 degrees. It
> seems that for 2.1 and below one would have to use some sort of table
> mapping phone models to parameters, but again googling is drawing
> blanks. Is anyone aware of a list of models and camera FOV parameters?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment