Sunday, August 14, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Can I use drawable-small, large, xlarge instead of hdpi, mdpi, ldpi?

So on an hdpi screen the icons will be smaller.
So my apps made on a nexus and emulator will
not display as I believe they will. Rather all my images
will be smaller whilst text boxes etc will be the same
(unless I am using dip not sp).
Then drawable-large folder is for large screens with hdpi or
mdpi? And I am not sure whether photoshop's dpi setting
does anything than change the size of the image.

Clearly I need to go to school about all this because I come
from a programming background. At first site I need larger images
for larger dpi screens. Hope I can find out how much larger and
which folder to put them in.

On Aug 14, 5:41 pm, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Droid <rod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I find too many possible image folders confusing and it does not seem
> > to make any difference if I make an image in Photoshop as 70 dpi, 150
> > dpi or whatever - it just makes a bigger or smaller image.
>
> Of course. That's the point. On a high density device, you use a
> high-pixel-count image to result in something that renders the right
> size but has more detail. On a low density device, you use a
> low-pixel-count image to result in something that renders the right
> size (i.e., not blown up huge).
>
> > So, can I use just drawable-small, large, xlarge and DROP all my hdpi,
> > mdpi and ldpi folders
>
> Not really.
>
> >  (which confuse me).
>
> Since screen density is going to be fairly important in all GUI
> programming going forward, perhaps you should consider learning more
> about screen density, rather than thinking you can ignore the problem.
>
> For example, I am typing this on a notebook with a 15.6" notebook with
> a 1080p (1920x108) display. This is a significantly higher screen
> density than typical notebooks. As a result, icons, text, etc. tend to
> come out smaller, since few programmers or Web designers think about
> screen density. And, sometimes Web designers even actively prevent
> solutions (e.g., can't increase font size using a browser because
> they're doing something screwy that just doesn't respond).
>
> > If I can get away with this, life would be so much easier.
>
> Not really.
>
> --
> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)http://commonsware.com|http://github.com/commonsguyhttp://commonsware.com/blog|http://twitter.com/commonsguy
>
> _Android Programming Tutorials_ Version 3.9 Available!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment