Friday, August 12, 2011

Re: [android-developers] Re: APK Decompiler



On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1960@yahoo.com> wrote:
Well, I can agree that the most obvious reasons to want to decompile
an APK involve things that are at least a little bit 'shady', but
let's be careful: there ARE legitimate motives for this.

One example comes to mind: for several days, I was getting a Force
Close out of Google's own Map application on my phone. If I had really
wanted to figure out why, decompiling the dex would probably have been
the best way to get the info, since Google can be SO uninformative
when it comes to such issues. But I didn't do this, I decided to wait
a few days for updates: sure enough, after about THREE updates, they
finally fixed it.

Decompiling has long been a legitimate engineering technique for
figuring out how an application completes an operation that SHOULD
have had documentation for it, but does not. And we all know that
happens a LOT with Android.


Of course there are.  However, reread what I said, I said if you want to and don't already know how.  If you got to a place where you knew where to look in the source to find what you wanted (you stated an example), you would also probably be experienced enough that you would know how to go about figuring out how to disassemble the source without asking.

That's just my opinion, however, based on my experiences with large amounts of requests like this ending up with people who want to take source from somebody else ;-)

Kris

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment