Monday, March 19, 2012

[android-developers] Casting string as a class (ie. RadioButton)

Sorry if it's a rudimentary question about Java as I'm coming from AS3 and just basically starting out. Though I understand many concepts so far and am writing my first app I'm trying to find best practices in some cases.

My question is the following.

In AS3, I could I address an instance of a class with the string.

So in AS3, I could do this:

var myMC = new MovieClip();

myMC.name = "somename";


now in my other code I can do this   

var tmpInstance = this.getChildByName("somename");



Is there an equivalent like this in Java/Android dev?

So for a super simple example.. I'm writing a code now that looks like this:

RadioButton myRadioBttn1 = findViewById(R.id.RadioButton01);
RadioButton myRadioBttn2 = findViewById(R.id.RadioButton01);


but later in the or in my custom methods I want to do something like this:

RadioButton myRadioBttn1_instance = this.getRadioButton("myRadioBttn1");

where i"m really just coming out with my own syntax here to get my point across. So I am trying to address a specific instance of the class I defined earlier in the code by passing a specific string so I can do something dynamically in the code.

I am sure I'm looking at this completely the wrong way as it is not done like that (I'm sure that it's a bad practices because in my example I'm creating a new instance rather than working on the existing one) but I'm not sure how to do this dynamically.

Thanks.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment