Thursday, March 22, 2012

[android-developers] Relative position (offline)

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to determine the relative position of another phone (Its position compared to mine).
The phones will be in a WifiP2P range, so they can communicate with each other.
I want it to be offline, if possible.

I've thought a couple possible solutions:
Solution1: Use GPS in both devices, and compare it.
  Problems: - Can I use GPS offline?
                  - If two devices are in nearby area, is the GPS error going to be the same (or similar)?
                  - Will this give problems indoors?
Solution2: Calculate my relative position depending in the WifiP2P signal strength
  Problems: - How can I calculate this relative position? (thought about something like triangulation but moving the phone to get the 3 or more different signals)
                  - Is there a getRssi() function for the WifiP2P? (I didn't found one)
                  - I might need to check for the other device movement too.
                  - I've read that calculating your position changes with the accelerometer is not very accurate.

Any thoughts about this???
Any other possible solution???
If there is not a "good" solution offline, what would you suggest online??? (would the Network Location Provider have the same (or similar) error on nearby devices???)

Sorry for my possible English mistakes.
Thank you in advance!!!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment