Saturday, December 15, 2012

[android-developers] Android Geocoder yields inaccurate results only with MY package name

I have an app that is quite dependent on reverse geocoding results using the built-in Geocoding support in Android. However, I've been noticing that the geocoder object returns inaccurate results, which can be off several hundreds of meters/yards. The strangest thing however, is that this inaccuracy seems to be caused by my package name!

If I run the sample code that you can download at http://developer.android.com/training/basics/location/geocoding.html everything works like a charm. The reverse geocoder almost always gets the right street number, and in some cases my neighbor's street number.

However, if I take the same sample code, and ONLY change the package name into my app's package name, suddenly the reverse geocoding is very inaccurate. Also, the latitude and longitude that the geocoder service returns are very different from the ones that I provided the geocoder with.

As far as I can tell, the Android geocoder is NOT subject to any usage limits. But how can I get inaccurate results just based on the package name? That's really frustrating for both me and my users (over half a million).

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment