Monday, December 17, 2012

Re: [android-developers] How to sync development projects?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Piren <gpiren@gmail.com> wrote:
It feels like we're not on the same page as to how SVN works...

Apparently not, lol
 
the files you Checkout are not stored in the cloud, you dont need any connection to the repository when you're doing doing any actions against the code. when you do a Checkout, you make a local copy of that specific version of the code on your computer (which makes them totally offline). you can do whatever you want without any connection to the SVN repository.

Right ...
 
once you want to update your code (what you now call "sync it". either sync up to the repository or sync down from it) you just connect to the network and Update/Commit (what you do now with Sync Folder).

That's the key point here - I don't want to wait until I've connected to my network to check in my code. Using SVN or any revision control would be pretty pointless if I did a weeks worth of changes between reconnecting to the repo and committing changes. I like to do small, frequent changes and commits as I go along. I sometimes also switch between different branches (new feature branch vs main vs bug fix branches, for example).

So how I would commit to the repo or switch to a different branch within it while disconnected from my home network without a local "offline" copy of my entire repo on my laptop?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Piren <gpiren@gmail.com> wrote:
When you Checkout a project from SVN, you basically set up a "synced offline folder" on your computer with that specific version of the files (usually the latest unless chosen otherwise)...

I know what an SVN Checkout does. It's the checking back in without access to the real repo that is the problem that I'm trying address. Do you follow me now?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:46 AM, Nikolay Elenkov <nikolay.elenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
Of course you an simply use git and you can commit as much as you like even when offline, underground, etc. Then push to your repo when you get the chance.

That is pretty much what I'm trying to achieve, though I haven't used GIT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment