Monday, March 18, 2013

[android-developers] Samsung Jellybean keyboard with HTML input fields

Hello all,

I had posted a question on Stack Overflow previously, but have not seen any activity on it for a while. Since this problem deals with specific Android devices, I thought I might try here as well. Original question can be found at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15298890/turn-off-predictive-text-for-password-field-on-websites

To summarize that post, my Android app has a webview which loads a login screen. I'm finding that auto-correct options on the default (Samsung 4.1) keyboard are causing incorrect entries in the password field when punctuation is involved. eg: "ab!d" gets auto corrected to "ab! d".

I have tried using the <input type="password"> tag for the field, but still see incorrect passwords being submitted. To work around this problem the user can turn off predictive text, but I would like to design a solution that does not rely on the user's action. I have noticed that the same device (and same settings) does not exhibit this behavior on either the username or password field on mail.google.com. I was not able to find any clues from the html source on that page.

The sample html is posted below. I'm almost certain that autocorrect and autocapitalize don't do anything. Can anyone think of what I may have missed?

<div data-role="fieldcontain" class="ui-hide-label"  >  <label for="USER">ID</label>  <input autocomplete="off" autocorrect="off" autocapitalize="off" spellcheck="false"  type="text" name="USER" id="USER" value="" maxlength="50" placeholder="${userId_text}" data-theme="c"/>  </div>  <div data-role="fieldcontain" class="ui-hide-label">  <label for="password">Password</label>  <input autocomplete="off" autocorrect="off" autocapitalize="off" spellcheck="false"  type="password" name="password" id="password" value="" maxlength="50" placeholder="Password" data-theme="c"/>  </div>

If there is a client side solution, I'm more than happy to try that as well, but since this is a html input and not an Android TextView, I'm not sure how much control I could have. Please let me know your ideas.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment