Thursday, May 9, 2013

Re: [android-developers] ORM library

I have looked at quite a few ORM libs but have always decided to go
without them.

I think that ORMs works a lot better in dynamic language environments
like PHP and Ruby. That is just my personal opinion - they might work
just fine.

Secondly my main concern when writing apps for Android is the overall
device power consumption that my apps inflict. I have absolutely no
empirical data to support the following statement - but my general
conception is that computing and I/O is very expensive and should be
avoided at all costs. It is also my thought that ORM libs doesn't help
me do as little (especially I/O) as possible.

So - the main reason I have chosen to go without any ORM lib so far is
that weighing the complexity and maintenance of the domain model
against the hand writing and optimizing of SQL clearly favours the
hand-written approach. This is clearly because of a very limited
domain and "deeper" apps with data only slightly more complex might
benefit greatly from using an ORM lib without taking any significant
performance or battery consumption impact.

The ORM library I have been most pleased with (as far as I remember)
is OrmLite: http://ormlite.com/sqlite_java_android_orm.shtml

If you gather any experience please share - it would be interesting to
hear about cases where using an ORM library "saves the day" ;-)

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Ryan Bateman <secretdark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering whether anyone would be able to recommend any specific ORM
> libraries? I've seen a few but not heard much in the way of personal
> experiences with any of them. My main concerns would be optimisation when
> querying across object relationships (i.e. get me all users with photos
> should ideally, under the hood, be running one SQLite query).
>
> Any thoughts or experience appreciated.
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Android Developers" group.
> To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Android Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>



--
Michael Banzon
http://michaelbanzon.com/

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment