Sunday, June 13, 2010

[android-developers] Re: GLES/IntBuffer/?? Mis-placed verts?

Well, with that special hubris that comes just before you realize you
did something super stupid:

"no, the code is PERFECT!"

:-)

For some reason, I found some other threads talking about this (sort
of) AFTER making my post (I looked first, honest!), but I guess those
were sort of off-topic comments, so maybe a new post just for this is
not a huge sin.

I should mention I do not have the issue in the emulator (when I can
stomach running at 4 fps), just on my Droid. (and maybe not on the
Eris, the only other test phone I have), so this might be a Droid-
specific issue.

So far, I have only noticed it on my terrain, though the same code is
used to render other meshes in the game (the poseable-skeleton
characters, for example). It's possible it happens there as well and
I just haven't noticed yet (I mean, if it's a Droid bug, I would think
it would have some probability of happening on any of my meshes). But
the terrain mesh has fairly large triangles, which is why I am willing
to suspect a math overflow issue. Still, lots of nearby triangles,
sharing the same verts, will be non-problematic.

I guess the most LIKELY explanation would be the short index buffer.
something like the first or last entry in the list, maybe.

I lied a little implying there was just one terrain mesh, when really
the full terrain is tiled with multiple meshes, and I haven't tried
using goofy texturing to help identify if this is always a particular
corner of such a mesh (i.e. first/last triangle). I guess I will try
that now.

But to answer your question, I pass the gl check stuff when I turn it
on.

And again, all the buffers are completely static, so their content
should not be flakily changing. If I had bad numbers in the buffers,
I would expect the problem to be pretty constant.

- Dan


On Jun 13, 1:21 pm, Frank Weiss <fewe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm no GL expert by far, but is there possibly a debug or logging mode
> which might expose a calculation or data error?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment