Thursday, June 17, 2010

[android-developers] Re: I've found a way to stop piracy of my apps

Biggest issues that I've seen for my own apps (and those other brave
souls who use AAL) have been related to legitimate users that somehow
can't validate their purchase. For example:

1. user buys app on marke using a 2.0-based phone. validation happens
just fine.
2. user backs up app, flashes rom to as-of-yet unreleased 2.2, and
restores app
3. Upon startup of the app on the newly-flashed phone, AAL properly
detects the missing license.
4. AAL fails validation, since 2.2-based devices can't "see" paid apps
on the market since Google hasn't registered that release in the
market database.

Other fringe scenarios similar to this. When I deployed AAL into my
apps, I had a few loud complainers that has tapered off now and I
don't really have any serious problems. I now get a lot of emails
from people in countries that can't buy from Android market.

Overall, AAL seems to be working quite well.

Lately I've been wondering if there's a way that I can offer the user
an "alternative" mechanism for purchasing the pirated app. For
example, I upload to Android Market, pirates post on download boards,
others download, and then when validation fails offer to let them buy
from PayPal and license things that way. I don't think that would
break any of the Android Market rules (since the pirated version isn't
being "distributed" by the market -- it's being distributed by a
pirate board), and it sure would open up distribution to markets that
Google doesn't currently serve.

Dave

On Jun 17, 3:39 pm, String <sterling.ud...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 17, 8:05 pm, keyeslabs <keyes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >AALhas now been open-sourced.  Find details here:  http://bit.ly/coz0yB.
>
> Cool. Thanks for sharing it.
>
> Are you still having good luck usingAALwith your own app(s)? Any
> downsides you've found?
>
> String

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment