Tuesday, June 15, 2010

[android-developers] Re: New crash reporting - is it a function of the phone or the app?

Hi, unfortunately I know my app is occasionally crashing (though only
rarely and only on Sony Xperia phones and only sometimes it seems) but
I am not seeing any crash reports in the Developer Console.

I do have my own crash reporting in place (based on
http://code.google.com/p/android-remote-stacktrace/) which is how I
know about the crashes as unfortunately my users are not reporting the
issues. However I would like to replace this with the Google version
if possible.

The app is compiled with the 2.2 sdk tools but against the 1.6 Android
lib. minSdk is set to 3 and targetSdk to 4.

So it appears that there ust be something I need to do to 'enable'
this feature. Do I need to recompile for the 2.1 or 2.2 lib? Or must I
set targetSdk to a later version? I can't really imagine a mechanism
that Google could have automagically enabled this without me
recompiling with a later library but I know people have suggested the
market app might have got an upgrade somehow.

Any thoughts please?

On May 28, 7:10 pm, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Geefer <paul.gee...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > is the new crash reporting feature announced last week a function of the
> > firmware on the phone or the sdk version that the app was compiled with?
>
> Neither, I don't think - the feature activated on my phone without a
> firmware update on an app that had not been updated. It appears to be some
> special auto-updating app on the system (like the market) that handles FCs.
>
> > Do I need to compile my app against 2.2 and release an update to have crash
> > reports
>
> Nope.
>
> > or will I automatically start to see them coming through even on an old app
> > compiled against the 1.6 sdk?
>
> Yep.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered deviceshttp://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment