Wednesday, June 9, 2010

[android-developers] Re: Submit Android form data to the web via POST

I saw your entry on stackoverflow too.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2999945/submit-form-with-post-data-in-android-app

I would suggest using the Apache libraries (all the http client, get/
post, response stuff) and parsing the data your self. If they just
wanted a webview the user might as well just open the browser
initially.
On another note if you really want a webview make sure to enable
javascript manually (could be the problem of things not displaying
correctly)

Some pointers with the network communication on Android.
Use an AsyncTask to put the network comm on another thread (gets it
off the UI thread).
Make good use of try-catch blocks and let the user know whats going on
when things get ugly (very important to a good user experience)

If you need some more tips feel free to ask.

-Chris
---------------------------------------
Creator of My College Life
http://mycollegelife.org

On Jun 8, 1:54 pm, datguywhowanders <datguywhowand...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I've been searching the web for a way to do this for about a week now,
> and I just can't seem to figure it out.
>
> I'm trying to implement an app that my college can use to allow users
> to log in to various services on the campus with ease. The way it
> works currently is they go to an online portal, select which service
> they want, fill in their user name and pwd, and click login. The form
> data is sent via post (it includes several hidden values as well as
> just the user name and pwd) to the corresponding login script which
> then signs them in and loads the service.
>
> I've been trying to come at the problem in two ways. I first tried a
> WebView, but it doesn't seem to want to support all of the html that
> normally makes this form work. I get all of the elements I need,
> fields for user and pwd as well as a login button, but clicking the
> button doesn't do anything. I wondered if I needed to add an onclick
> handler for it, but I can't see how as the button is implemented in
> the html of the webview not using a separate android element.
>
> The other possibility was using the xml widgets to create the form in
> a nice relative layout, which seems to load faster and looks better on
> the android screen. I used EditText fields for the input, a spinner
> widget for the service select, and the button widget for the login. I
> know how to make the onclick and item select handlers for the button
> and spinner, respectively, but I can't figure out how to send that
> data via POST in an intent that would then launch a browser. I can do
> an intent with the action url, but can't get the POST data to feed
> into it.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment