Wednesday, February 23, 2011

[android-developers] SDK 11 is the slowest yet

I was quite pleased this morning to see the official, final release of the Honeycomb SDK as level 11, and naturally launched into the (quite lengthy) download and install process... only to be really disappointed by the truly abysmal performance of the thing.

Every aspect seems to have gotten much, much slower since r10. I mean, I'm used (and resigned) to each successive SDK version getting slower, but this is an order of magnitude worse than any release before it. The r11 emulator is, if anything, even slower than the r10 preview was, but the real problem is the ADT in Eclipse. I started a Clean of a medium-sized project before I began writing this post, and at this moment, it's still grinding away on it. And when it's doing so, Eclipse is essentially unresponsive - I wouldn't mind so much if it was just doing its thing in the background, letting me get on and do mine, but no. It's just spinning.

My only hope is that this is a bug that made it through into the release. I say this because, with r11, my Eclipse process shows as consuming 100% of its CPU core all the time, whether it's visibly doing anything or not. Xavier, if you're reading this - and I know you often monitor this group after an ADT release - please respond.

For the record, I'm running Helios 3.6.1 and Vista Business on dual 2.4GHz cores with 4GB RAM.

String

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment