Thursday, September 1, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Limiting installs of licensed app to number of devices

According to the documentation, if you implemented the licensing
correctly, it will not allow installation on multiple devices for the
same license. (Check out the "device identifier" section here:
http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/licensing.html)

Is there documentation or information elsewhere that contradicts this?

-Jim

On Sep 1, 2:57 pm, Kevin Tambascio <ke...@appbrewer.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As my app has evolved, it has appealed more to business owners who
> want to purchase the app for their employees.  According to the
> Android market statistics, yesterday I had a one day spike in the
> number of active installs, that that amounted to 10x my normal
> volume.  Normally I sell around 5 per day, but yesterday the active
> installs bumped up by about 55.  I know I did not sell 50+ licenses in
> one day per my merchant account.  My fear is that a company bought one
> copy of my app, and since they used the same email address on those
> other devices, were able to download and use it on 50 devices.  I have
> no problem in letting each person use my app on a few devices, but 50
> crosses the line for me.
>
> Has anyone found any successful strategies to limit the app to just a
> few devices (say a license that lets you install it on 3 or 5
> devices)?  I would imagine that you'd have to extend the licensing
> system along with your own server to validate the number of devices,
> but I don't think users would appreciate my app "calling home" when
> started.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Kevin

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment