Wednesday, February 15, 2012

[android-developers] Re: What is wrong with Android Adapters?

I've got 7 different adapters in my application, and they all look
like they work perfectly, but they all show this weird pattern in the
calls to getView.

Look closer on the logs, I think they say a lot actually.
Notice when views are created, and how they are bound, and try explain
the logic behind that...

I have a lot of experience in mobile UI frameworks, I've even worked
for the top manufacturers for about 5 years with optimizing and
animating their UI frameworks, before they got obsolete by Android :)
I know list-frameworks are a lot trickier then you might think to get
right, so I'm not super surprised if someone messed up somewhere in
the framework...

Cheers,
Olof


On Feb 15, 10:17 am, Olof Hedman <o...@illusionlabs.se> wrote:
> Great, it works :)
>
> In another lost message, I said that there is no invalidating going on
> at these points.
> The most curious of them all is that 3x refreshing of all views on
> power-down.
> Absolutely no implementation at all in onPause in the activity.
>
> ViewHolder pattern will not help me, since that only means caching of
> the findViewById calls.
> But I thank you for that tip anyhow, since it should lessen the
> impact.
>
> But to me it still seems android lists are slightly broken, at least
> in 2.3...
> Havn't had the opportunity to try other versions yet.
>
> Are there really no-one else who have noticed this behaviour?
>
> Cheers,
> Olof
>
> On Feb 15, 10:03 am, Olof Hedman <o...@illusionlabs.se> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Thanks for replying!
> > I seem to have some problem replying in this thread.
> > My messages never show up?
>
> > Lets hope this one works...
>
> > I think this example is the best, it shows the exact same pattern in
> > the calls to getView, its a completely static list with no refreshing
> > at all going on:
>
> >http://pastebin.com/M8QcQu21
>
> > It's using a ListAdapter as base class, because at that point I had
> > overlooked BaseListAdapter, but that shouldn't really matter...
>
> > Cheers,
> > Olof
>
> > On Feb 15, 12:43 am, Doug <beafd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Feb 13, 1:48 am, Olof Hedman <o...@illusionlabs.se> wrote:
>
> > > > Is there anyone who can shed some light on this, is it just something
> > > > I have to live with, or have I made some stupid mistake?
> > > > I have a hard time imagining anything I could have done wrong though,
> > > > since the code is really minimal.
>
> > > Why aren't you showing your code, since it is so minimal?  Your log
> > > isn't helping anyone understand what you actually did.  BTW, "minimal"
> > > doesn't equate to "correct".
>
> > > If anything at all is invalidating views in your list, it may be
> > > getting rebuilt.  If your adapter is getting refreshed somehow, it may
> > > be getting rebuilt.
>
> > > You could also try starting with a sample from ApiDemos and building
> > > from there.
>
> > > Doug

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment