Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Re: [android-developers] School project help needed.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Kristopher Micinski <krismicinski@gmail.com> wrote:
I disagree.. In the universities which which I've been affiliate we
typically educate undergrads in traditional languages
(C/C++/OCaml/Java/etc...), and using fairly standard APIs, but don't
typically teach frameworks as a part of our courses.  It's fairly
common to ask a student as a final project to take all of these
courses and then learn the framework using the knowledge they've
gained over the years of  their theoretical and applied coursework.

I agree with this, which is why I said a final year project would be a culmination of the student's prior work. However, the OP made these statements:

I was asked to create an Android application for my school's final year project, but I have zero experience in this area.. had never programmed an app before..

I really have no idea where I can start right now.

In my 3 years of study, I have dabble in very basic programming(c#/c++ and nothing else) and wasn't really very good in it

I had never did an app before, nor had programmed anything in such a large scale(to me)

So, from what I gathered, in 3 years the OP has "dabbled" in just two languages - C# and C++ - and was not good at it, and has apparently no experience with Java or Android. A typical Comp Sci student will have more than "dabbled" in various languages by the 3rd year and one would hope would be a little more than "good" at it.

Thus, without more information about what the OP has studied and knows, I can only conclude that they are ill-prepared for the task they've been given. Which is why I question why they'd be given such a task.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment