Wednesday, March 16, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Urgent and Alarming battery management problem. Google please do something about it.

I don't agree. While I agree with this not being an issue with Android in general, I do think this should adressed by Google using Google Market in some way.

The reason why a lot of users prefer the iPhone to Android devices is that "everything is just easy" on IOS devices. People shouldn't have to know or care about the underlying technology in order to get good value out of their device. I really don't think you can ask a user to turn off their data connections or monitor radio and/or cpu usage of their applications. This may be cool for a tech geek, but it's certainly not a viable option for users like my mom.

I often thought of creating something like Dan's suggested "Battery Friendly Certification". However, my mom doesn't check a website before installing an application on her phone. She just wants to open the Market application and hit "install". Btw, she also doesn't want to read through recommendations or check permissions.

As far as I'm concerned, it really is the job of the party who runs the market to provide the best possible experience for their users. Don't get me wrong, I love the openness of Android and on my phone the "Allow installation of non-Market applications" checkbox is checked. But, I would certainly not check this on my mom's phone.

Google really could do a much better job in automatically testing and rating applications in regards to speed, battery usage, and force closes. Then I could tell my mom to only install apps that reach a good score in these tests. Better yet, I'd uncheck the "Show crappy apps" checkbox in the market application on my mom's phone.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment