Sunday, September 30, 2012

Re: [android-developers] Re: Menu icon contrast

there is no good solution pre 3.0....you are at the mercy of whatever useless skinning the manufacturer did to any particular handset.  I suspect it's the main reason Google introduced holo light and holo dark with the insistence that the basics of these themes are not messed with.

whilst that is fine going forwards there is no relief for earlier platforms.  from what I can see it's just not talked about on the assumption that eventually everyone will be off the earlier versions and the problem will just go away.

I looked into styling the options menu a month or so back and got some really useful help from folks in this group.  the best I could get to was to sample the menu background to work out the color: potentially I could then have displayed appropriately contrasted resources.  I didn't take this path because it was too hackish.  I eventually ended up creating a set of menu icons that were a silhouette against a rounded colored square.  The color of the background square was chosen to contrast nicely agains a light or dark menu background and my icon contrasted nicely with the squares.

One of the iterations the the Google Market app took the same approach themselves: they had white icons with a sort of blurry outline around each of them.  At the time I couldn't work out why they had done this as the icons looked sort of funky - but in hindsight I see that they then worked against light or dark menu backgrounds.  

unfortunately the client didn't like it so we ended up forcing the overflow menu to appear in ActionBarSherlock.  And before you ask, the actionbar overflow menu cannot be styled - by design.



On Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:36:40 AM UTC-4, andrewg_oz wrote:
Thanks. Platform version sounds good in theory, but my Gingerbread (v2.3.3) emulator is light-on-dark, while my Gingerbread (also v2.3.3) phone is dark-on-light. How reliable is the emulator for this?

I've also heard that menus can't be styled, but I'll look further into that.

Are there no system calls that can help here? Query the current display settings or something?

Cheers,
Andrew

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment