Thursday, July 28, 2011

[android-developers] NMEA data overflowed buffer: GPSLocationProvider

I saw this message repeatedly in my log after reproducing an error
condition that resulted from extended use of the GPS.

I'm getting a bunch of error messages in logcat like this.

07-28 16:29:10.388: ERROR/GpsLocationProvider(1090): NMEA data
overflowed buffer

This error message comes from line 128 of
android_location_GpsLocationProvider.cpp. There is a 40 sentence
buffer.

It must be a pretty serious problem because the Droid 1 with 2.2
became completely unresponsive and then rebooted itself.

So how do I cause this problem - I mean how do I avoid it?

The service has registered for location updates at an interval of
1000.

I theorize that if I process the location update in <<1 second,
everything's good, but if anything start's taking slight longer than 1
second, say 1.1 seconds, then the event loop gets behind and
eventually chaos ensues.

Am I on the right track?

It could be that the service was terminated for some reason that
didn't leave a mark in logcat and the Droid kept trying to send these
updates to a defunct process, but I'm thinking that's less likely.

Nathan


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment