Monday, July 25, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Pre - installed sqlite data vs user provided values

Yes, but he wants to be able to easily update the packaged part of the
database, and he's not wanting to deal with record data outside of a
sqlite db in the update. I suppose if you were to use the special flag
column, you could extract out the user's rows, replace the packaged db
with your new one, then re-insert the user's rows back in. Would that
work?

- dave
www.android book.com/proandroid3

On Jul 25, 3:48 pm, Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about using one database, and having a column that tells you if a
> particular data item (row) came prepackaged, or added / edited by the user?
>
> This could work if your database schema is not too complicated.
>
> -- Kostya
>
> 25.07.2011 23:31, Federico Paolinelli пишет:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi all, hope somebody can help me with the issue I am having while
> > finishing my app.
>
> > At the moment my app relies on a sqlite db to store / give back some
> > kind of data. The user can of course add / delete rows from the db,
> > and I thought it would have been nice to provide some stuff pre
> > installed (it's full of examples on how to ship a pre built sqllite
> > file). I am now thinking that, if I just provide a pre installed db,
> > the user's new data will be mixed the pre installed one.
>
> > Now, what I'd really like to do is an easy way to update the data
> > between a release and another without wiping the user's own data out.
> > If I just overwrite the .db file, I will loose the user's own data.
>
> > I thought a possible solution would be to have two separates sqllite
> > files, one with my pre-installed stuff (that I can update from release
> > to release), and one with the data filled by the user (that will
> > survive between updates). I can then use a merge cursor to display the
> > data as if it were from one single db, but it sounds a bit tricky.
>
> > Do you guys have some other way to achieve this result?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Federico
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Android Developers" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
>
> --
> Kostya Vasilyev

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment