Thursday, July 7, 2011

[android-developers] Re: Question about the values of the Audio Buffer

No, they should be real RAW 16bit PCM values. If you aren't getting
values that make sense at just 16 bit shorts, then you have something
else wrong in your code. Make sure you are not casting weird or
anything like that.

-niko

On Jul 7, 12:53 pm, jdarladimas <jdarladi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Developers,
>
> In an application that I am developing, I am using the AudioRecord
> class to detect sounds from the microphone.
> The minimum Buffer Size that I am allowed to use is 4096.
>
> So, I get the values from the microphone buffer and put them in a
> short[] array that has the same size as the microphone buffer.
> The range of those values are from -2^15=-32768 up to 2^15,
> which makes sense since I am using PCM_16_ENCODING and the size of a
> short element is 16 bits.
>
> When I test the app, I notice that it is quiet, the buffer values tend
> to 0.
> On the other hand, when there is noise, both the positive and the
> negative buffer values tend to their maximum( 32768 and -32768
> respectively).
> My question is what those buffer values represent...
> Are they quantization levels or something else?? Can anybody help me?
> It is really important..
>
> Thank you in advance

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment