Sunday, June 10, 2012

[android-developers] Google auth with getAuthToken: what authTokenType string to use?


I am working on an Android application which allows you to use your email account as a user id and any password for authentication. It also requires a verification step where you have to verify that the email address belongs to you.  To do away with this painful process and make it easy for users, I figured maybe I should use Google single click auth for our users.  The benefits are that the user doesn't have to deal with the issues of creating an account while filling out a complicated form and they also don't need to verify that the email address belongs to them.  The email address is mainly used to contact them after they register but they can unsubscribe from emails.

The call I am making looks similar to the following

mAccountManager.getAuthToken(mAccount, AUTH_TOKEN_TYPE, null, WelcomeActivity.this, new GetAuthTokenCallback(), null);

The bit of confusion I have revolves around the fact that I am required to specify an authTokenType that has very little to no documentation anywhere.  I am not looking to use any Google service APIs as of now.  So what string should I specify as authTokenType if I am merely looking to use Google auth as an identity service like Facebook signon.

I saw a mention of "android" as well as "androiddeveloper" in some forum posts but, again, they are not officially documented and I have no idea what those stand for.  Am I using Google auth the wrong way if I want just basic auth for identity purposes merely to associate a user with their google email?  I guess my question is: what authTokenType should I use for my purposes?

Thanks!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment