Monday, August 30, 2010

[android-developers] Re: App breaks for some users after they update from the Market

I am glad you solved it. How do you have your warning levels set? I
have mine set to the highest possible on everything and a removed line
might have been caught via unused/unitiliazed varaibles.

On Aug 30, 6:49 pm, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PROBLEM SOLVED!
>
> Conclusion: I'm an idiot (shocked!?)
>
> So, for those of you that care, here was the problem. I followed Zsolt's
> suggestion to go back to the previous version and then "updated" the app and
> sure enough it crashed.
>
> Quick background: The app gets data from the inter webs and then caches it
> in my own format with some extra data for quicker access and to support
> extra functionality. This cache is wiped on each update to "refresh" the
> data and avoid issues exactly like this.
>
> At least it's *supposed* to be wiped.
>
> Unfortunately, while developing the latest version, I
> apparently inadvertently removed the single line of code that clears the
> cache when the app is updated! Genius!
>
> So the new code was trying to load the old cache which was missing a new
> piece of data (which it otherwise would get from that static map discussed
> earlier).
>
> I had no idea I'd removed that line to clear the cache so I didn't even
> think it to be a possibility! I assumed all users were getting "fresh" data.
>
> Well, now that I've thoroughly embarrassed myself, thank you all for your
> time, sorry to have wasted it on such a stupid oversight, and Zsolt, you're
> my hero for the brain-dead simple idea to try to "update" the app for
> myself. I should really work that concept into my test plan ...
>
> Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a proper update to release ...
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------------
> TreKing <http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking> - Chicago
> transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-developers@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment